What do you think about dogs wearing clothes?

RuffLuv

There are so many cute outfits these days in pet stores for dogs, and I'll admit some of the dogs look cute all dressed up, but I think that a dog should only be in clothes for a very short time. like long enough to get their picture taken. Do you think doggie clothes are a hinderance to a dog's freedom of movement? Do you ever put outfits on your dog?

The word cute is only applicable to us, humans. I don't know if the dogs see those clothes as cute or comfortable. I try to think of what my dog feels and not necessarily the looks.

The word cute is only applicable to us, humans. I don't know if the dogs see those clothes as cute or comfortable. I try to think of what my dog feels and not necessarily the looks.
Yes, I think that's the way to go, thinking of how the dog feels. I've seen people put dogs in all sorts of outfits that look to me like they are really restrictive to the dog's movement. I've also seen people put 'shoes' on their dog's feet. I can sort of understand the shoes if the owner is taking the dog into a really dirty area and the owner doesn't want the dog to bring excessive dirt back to their car or home, but just for the sake of wearing shoes, especially in order to match an outfit, I don't think it's too comfortable or reasonable for a dog.

Do you ever put outfits on your dog?
Sadie has clothes and she loves them. She'll literally wait until her jacket is on before she'll deign to go outside. It's all practical stuff for keeping warm like sweaters and vests for walks. She wears a cooling jacket in the summer sometimes. The groomer puts a bandanna around her neck after she's had her bath and she likes wearing it too. Shoes serve a practical purpose as well. Blacktop and sidewalks are hot in the summer and shoes would protect their feet. Glass could be on the ground or the rocks could be extra rough. Sadie loves to play in the snow, but I worry about her little paw pads because the snow balls up on her feet. I can't get her to wear shoes though and I've tried. I don't think most people are putting shoes on their dog because they're worried about bringing dirt into their cars or they'd use a dog mat or just not take the dog anywhere. I mean, dogs drool when they pant.

Dogs definitely look good with some clothes on, but the outfits shouldn't be restrictive at all. I have never thought of getting some clothes for them but I feel that this is something I would want to try out soon.

Thinking back on this topic, I realized that we domesticated different types of dogs and there are some species that are not suited to the environment we are placing them in. Huskies for example, are suited best in cold places so we don't really need to put clothes on them to keep them warm. On the other hand, those same huskies might be good if they have short fur when they are exported to places with warm climate.

Ok no judgement :) please but my dog seriously has more clothes them me.
She is 7 lbs and feels the chill early in the fall as well as in the summer in the ac. She is in sweaters & fleece pj's all winter long as we do not get a lot of heat. So some items are for practical purposes.
Dresses, tee shirts, sweaters, sweat shirts, hats, scarves, coats, pj's, about a dozen tutu's etc. she has them all.
She LOVES wearing clothes which is odd as I adopted her at age 5 from horrific conditions so clearly she was never exposed to wearing anything.
She gets extremely excited when you go into her draws and pull something out. I think she feeds off of the attention she receives while in clothing. She loves being fawned over. Loves taking pictures too.
I also do not force her into something. There have been items she didn't cooperate with putting on. Maybe it was the material? The color?
She is drawn to pink & yellow.
At least half her wardrobe were birthday-Christmas gifts. They do make adorable dog clothes.:love: And you can buy them just about every where these days. CVS sold coats and holiday pj's past two years. Plus as with humans there always seems to be more girl clothes then boys but they are catching up, lol.
My last dog was a male and had coats, sweat shirts and a big collection of bandana's. He was also a min pin so fall/winter wardrobe was essential.
My friend had 2 female Rottie's, one loved wearing dresses etc but the other, no way!
So I think it all depends on the breed, environment and the individual dog.
But clothing should always fit. Too small is restrictive. Too large and they could trip or have a potty accident on.

Back